Learn about South Carolina.
Every year a group of 50 diverse participants are selected for Leadership South Carolina's nine-month core program (September to April).
Participants are selected through a Nomination and Application process which are accepted year-round. On average 250 nominations annually are submitted with about 200 applications comprising the pool of possible class participants.
Participants are chosen based on: geographic area, ethnicity, age, gender, employment sector and community volunteerism. Leadership South Carolina recognizes that diverse views enrich class participant's perspectives.
The core program consists of six three-day sessions in different locations of the state. Each session is uniquely designed to focus on a challenge facing South Carolina and the South. Sessions are:
- Orientation -- a baseline for personal leadership and historical perspectives;
- Natural Resources and Environment -- the changing South, energy and water usage, marsh degradation;
- Public Education -- K-12 education, funding, public educators, superintendents and graduation rates;
- Social Issues and Health -- an in-depth look at poverty, health care reform and social change;
- The Economy -- job recruitment, rural development and workforce development;
- Future Challenges -- how to stay in-tune and involved in public service.